LTP News Sharing:
Cracking down on social media censorship in the Sunshine State!
Great work Governor!
As many politicians & candidates complain about Social Media Censorship, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has stepped up and presented a bold plan to tackle this big issue.
The DeSantis Social Media Censorship Crackdown Plan includes the following actions:
• Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters.
• A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.
• Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
• Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”
• Greater transparency requirements.
• Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.
• Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
Author: Frances Rice